Gyuto Karmapa Monastery
Due to the untiring efforts of enlightened leaders, scholars and translators, Buddhism was established in Tibet with the translation of the Buddhist canon and transmission of uninterrupted oral traditions. Tibet became a Buddhist country possessing the complete teachings of sutra and tantra. Gradually four lineages developed based on specific lineages of teaching, different interpretations and different locations.
The last of these, the Gelug lineage, was pioneered by the great saint scholar Tsongkhapa who revitalized and reformed the practice of sutra and tantra. His tradition of tantric teaching was mainly established in the tantric monasteries Gyudme and Gyuto where it was promulgated and practiced. The original Gyuto Tantric Monastery was founded in 1474 in Tibet.
At the time of the Chinese invasion in 1950 in Lhasa, Tibet, about 60 Gyuto monks fled to India in 1959. After initially gathering in Dalhousie, India, the monastery was established in Tenzing Gang, in Arunachal Pradesh, India. The main monastery is now here in Sidhbari, where there are nearly 500 monks in the entire order who live in the residences neighboring the monastery.